Monday, March 03, 2008

Pahina Isang Daan at Isa

I ran into somebody's blog and figured that blogger has added an option to view one's blog site in Filipino. I never explored into that until today when I cleaned my cache and had to change the default language setting (Chinese) in my computer. While looking for "English" in the list, I saw "Filipino" and I thought of choosing it to see how it works. I was thrilled at the thought of it yet upon seeing the seemingly unfitting translations, I asked myself if there's really a need to do that. Sorry, I don't mean to agitate, just my personal thought. Maybe you can see by yourself and share your thoughts about it. On the other side, having Filipino included in the language option means there are millions of Filipino bloggers out there!

Here, see how my post list looks like in Filipino...


And my blogsite in Filipino...



BTW, please note that my subtitle is really in Filipino and is not a direct translation :)

4 comments:

admindude said...

I didn't know they brought it back. I think this is better than last year's na nakakatuwa talaga yung translation. It still needs more improvement though, biro mo they translated "Moderate comment" to "Katamtamang puna" hehehe. I had to shift it back to English to try to understand what katamtamang puna means. And I'm not sure if "puna" is the right word to use because it has a negative connotation :-)

I agree though that it's good to have Filipino as an option.

Anonymous said...

What a revelation. It goes to show Tagalog is still a young language, especially as a national language. It still sounds strange even to Filipinos--to me, especially! :D

lovelyn said...

I've read about this Filipino translation on my dasboard at Blogger Buzz. Haven't tried it yet. Blogger Management also mentioned a Pinay blogger here: http://aileenapolo.blogspot.com/2008/02/it-was-such-huge-surprise-to-be.html .... she's like a star na naga e.

Jane said...

Hi Bill, me too, I find that "Katamtamang Puna" translation doesn't sound correct. They should have simply used "Komento". Maybe, more works are needed to get the Filipino language option sound right to all.

Hannah dear, maybe it's more on the knowledge level of who the blogger staff is working with to come up with the correct translations.

Lovelyn, really now? Thanks for the link. I'll check more of her...